St. Fargeau
Town of St. Fargeau

This is the main town in the region, dominated by the grand rose coloured brick château, and it is here in summer that a son-et-lumière spectacular is staged each weekend. Little children love the farm alongside the château which has been preserved to show rural life and the trades of the time over a hundred years ago with donkeys, chickens and goats

St Fargeau Castle
open to the public

The origins of Saint-Fargeau Castle go back to the Xth century. Around the 980, Heribert, Bishop of Auxerre and natural brother of the King Hugues Capet, built a fortified hunting lodge to shoot deer, wild boar and pheasant, among many other kinds of game living in the forest surrounding the estate.

In the XIth century, the estate Saint-Fargeau fell into the hands of the Lords Toucy. In the Early part of the XIIIth Century , Jean de Toucy, one of Saint Louis’s companions, built a pentagonal castle made of ferruginous sandstone. In 1255, his daughter Jeanne married Thbault de Bar. The House of Bar would be master of Puisaye until the end of One Hundred Years War from which she emerged bankrupt.

https://www.france-voyage.com/cities-towns/saint-fargeau-35493.htm

 

  • No comments found